Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Current boyfriend has + ex
Aug 12, 2001

I am currently dating a guy that I have fairly strong feelings about. Recently I found out that he once dated a now deceased HIV positive man for four years. He knew the man was positive before going into the relationship or having sex for the first time. My boyfriend says that he remained HIV negative while being sexually active with his positive partner. How likely is this? Obviously I should get tested, but I want to know if remaining negative is even possible. I also has reservations as to how seriously my boyfriend takes his own health. I still have a hard time understanding why he would intentionally put himself at risk by persuing this sexual relationship knowing that the man was positive. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Remien

There are many people who are HIV- in relationships with someone who is HIV+ and able to have satisfying and healthy sexual, romantic, and intimate relationships, while remaining HIV-. In general, people pursue romantic and sexual relationships with someone they are attracted to and have special feelings for. HIV status does not define the person and there are lots of reasons that someone may find his/herself in a relationship with someone who has the "opposite" HIV status of their own. While mixed status relationships have their challenges, they can also be very healthy and satisfying for many people. Spend a little more time reading other questions and answers on this forum and on the "Safer Sex, Transmission, and Prevention" forum so you can read about the experiences of couples in this situation.

Previous
Girlfriend lives With Brother who has AIDS
Next
will she still love me?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.