Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Want to have baby

My wife is positive but I am negative. Is it possible to have chirldren and what way to safe me and new born?

Response from Dr. Remien

It is certainly possible to have a baby. Of course there is always the risk of transmission of HIV to an uninfected sex partner when protection is not used. There are a number of options for having a baby that do not include putting yourself at risk. And there is also the risk of HIV being passed on to the baby if the mother is infected. There are ways of significantly reducing this risk when an HIV+ woman wants to have a baby. Please speak with a qualified physician about your situation. You may also want to go to the forum on this website called "Pregnancy, Children and HIV."

He has AIDS not me
First 72 hours