Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

my friend is pregnant to a man with AIDS

I have a friend that addmitted to me that she married a man with aids. She is also pregnant to him. And I would like to know what the is the possibility of the baby getting the virus? She claims to be testing neg. herself but her husband is definatley positive. He has known this for 5 yrs.

Response from Dr. Remien

Of course there is risk for transmission of HIV to your friend whenever she has uprotected sex with her HIV+ partner. The only way her baby can become infected is if she is infected. If this has not happened yet, then she should be using protection when having sex with her partner. If she were to become HIV+ while pregnant then medication can radically reduce the risk of this being passed on to her baby. I hope and trust she is getting good prenatal care and can talk about these issues with her physician.

safe sex?
discordant lesbian couple