Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

safe sex?

Is there such a thing as safe sex with a prostitute? Barring condom failure, should there really be a concern?

This is not a moral issue for me, it is a serious inquiry. Background is I am a single father raising 2 children devoting my time to my children and do not want a relationship as of yet nor do I want to waste someones time dating knowing I am not persuing anything (other than the obvious)at this point or anything like that. Just need a little bit of release every now and then. Am I crazy for thinking this?

Response from Dr. Remien

Of course there is such a thing as "safer sex" with a prostitute, just as there is with any other person. It is not the profession or the identity that carries the risk. If your sex partner is HIV+ then there is a risk of transmission to you, no matter who that person is. Please spend a little time on the Forum for Safer Sex and HIV Transmission on this website.

Mixed status couples-when to disclose
my friend is pregnant to a man with AIDS