Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

HIV positive friend and how our relationship may evolve?

My best friend and ex-boyfriend (same person), tested +ve and i tested -ve. I am a 25 year old healthy woman and he is also only 32 and doing fine so far. After the initial period of disappointment and shock, I now want to know how safe it is to continue the association.It is a non-sexual relationship since we got me tested, but a very affectionate one and he is moving back into my city so we will spend time together. Is it okay to eat from the same plate, hold hands, share the bathroom, and other non-penetrative caresses? Is it necessary for me to test again if the first tests were -ve and since, there has been no sexual contact, not even kissing? -Ami

Response from Dr. Remien

If your doctor or HIV test counselor told you that you were tested within the appropriate window since the possible exposure and you tested HIV negative, then I see no need to re-test. There are no documented cases of anyone getting infected with HIV from casual, non-penetrative contacts. HIV is transmitted when infected bodily fluids (blood and genital secretions) from an HIV+ person come into direct contact with mucous membranes (such as in sex) or the bloodstream of an uninfected person. Please go to the "Safe Sex, Prevention and Transmission" forum on this website. There is a lot of information there about HIV transmission. Take a look at the question "Testing once and for all" which was posted on May 31, 2001.

Telling The Truth
sero-discordant relationship