Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV + HUSBAND AND HIV- WIFE WANT A BABY!!
Jun 21, 1999

Can a otherwise healthy husband and very healthy wife cinceive an hiv- baby, even though the father is positive. My husband has an undetectable viral load and a high t-cell count and is in good health. After a year of having unprotected sex we found out he was Hiv+ and now we have been together 8years and I am negative. During the first year we had lots of unprotected sex and I even became pregnant, but could keep the baby because I am Rh- factor and did not receive my rhogam shot after giving birth to my daughter. We believe I did not become infected because of the low viral load and since his viral load now is undetectable, we really want to try again. We heard about sperm washing and the chances of becoming infected are also possible. We are seeking some information and/or advice because I have a 9 1/2 year old who will suffer if I become infected or she is given a sibling who may be infected and maybe even become deceased in later years.. So I really would love to give my daughter a sibling, but would like to know the chances of the sibling being born negative and I staying healthy as well as negative... I believe the chances of this wish being realized are slim!!!

Response from Dr. Remien

It certainly is possible that you could conceive and give birth to an uninfected baby and remain unifected yourself. However, it is also possible that you could become infected. If that were to happen it would still be possible for you to conceive and give birth to an uninfected baby, but that baby could also be born HIV+. There are many factors involved that can effect the outcome in this matter. There are several related questions on this forum - please take a look at them. Also know that there are options for you, including adoption. Most importantly, however, please speak with a medical care provider that is knowledgeable about these things and with whom you feel comfortable talking.

Please get the information you are seeking and also think about the importance of taking care of yourself and remaining negative, for all concerned.

Previous
my partner is positive and i am not.
Next
He Doesn't Feel

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.