Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

HIV + HUSBAND AND HIV- WIFE WANT A BABY!!

Can a otherwise healthy husband and very healthy wife cinceive an hiv- baby, even though the father is positive. My husband has an undetectable viral load and a high t-cell count and is in good health. After a year of having unprotected sex we found out he was Hiv+ and now we have been together 8years and I am negative. During the first year we had lots of unprotected sex and I even became pregnant, but could keep the baby because I am Rh- factor and did not receive my rhogam shot after giving birth to my daughter. We believe I did not become infected because of the low viral load and since his viral load now is undetectable, we really want to try again. We heard about sperm washing and the chances of becoming infected are also possible. We are seeking some information and/or advice because I have a 9 1/2 year old who will suffer if I become infected or she is given a sibling who may be infected and maybe even become deceased in later years.. So I really would love to give my daughter a sibling, but would like to know the chances of the sibling being born negative and I staying healthy as well as negative... I believe the chances of this wish being realized are slim!!!

Response from Dr. Remien

It certainly is possible that you could conceive and give birth to an uninfected baby and remain unifected yourself. However, it is also possible that you could become infected. If that were to happen it would still be possible for you to conceive and give birth to an uninfected baby, but that baby could also be born HIV+. There are many factors involved that can effect the outcome in this matter. There are several related questions on this forum - please take a look at them. Also know that there are options for you, including adoption. Most importantly, however, please speak with a medical care provider that is knowledgeable about these things and with whom you feel comfortable talking.

Please get the information you are seeking and also think about the importance of taking care of yourself and remaining negative, for all concerned.

my partner is positive and i am not.
He Doesn't Feel