Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Husband + 12 years, wife - 8 years
Jun 21, 1999

I have been married to my husband for 8 years. We have one daughter together who was born 12 months after we were married. I have always tested negative. We used condoms while I was pregnant but have not used them since. I received the experimental GP160 vaccine but never seroconverted so have been told I am not protected. My questions is why have I never tested positive, even after receiving the actual envelope protein, I didn't test positive. Do some people have natural protection. My husband had a vasectomy in 1991. Could that have helped?

Response from Dr. Remien

Your question really needs to be asked of a medical professional - more specifically, of the researchers conducting the study in which you received the experimental vaccine. However, please keep in mind that HIV is not always easily transmitted, for a variety of reasons. This does not mean that it is not possible, or even likely, that you would eventually become infected if you continue to engage in unprotected sex with someone who is HIV+. Just because it has not happened yet does not mean it never will. Please talk with informed medical professionals and also protect yourself.

Previous
A Second Opinion
Next
my partner is positive and i am not.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.