Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ Spouse is driving me crazy with his insecurities
Aug 13, 1999

Hello! Recently my husband was diagnosed with HIV. So far, I have tested negative. My problem is with my husband. He's obviously scared, but he constantly asks me whether or not he's going to die, what are symptoms of various illnesses, and complains constantly about his sexual past. It's getting to the point that I am having a hard time deciding whether or not I want to stay in this relationship. There's only so much I can take. I want to be supportive, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to do so. I've tried talking to him, but it doesn't seem to help. Do you have any advice? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Remien

It seems to me that both you AND your husband can use some support. He needs to talk with a counselor and/or other people living with HIV to help him adjust to the news of his status. You also can use the support of talking with others in your situation (a person in a relationship with someone who is HIV+). Once he and you have found the individual support that you need, then you and he can communicate to each other about your thoughts and feelings. But until he gets support for himself, you cannot be the person to provide for him all of the reassurance and support that he needs.

Get the support that you need and encourage your husband to get the support that he needs. Take care.

Previous
HIV+ Proactive Medical Care
Next
Low t-cell count, HIV negative?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.