Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared out of my min
Aug 13, 1999

My wife and I have always been extradinarliy healthy. We barley ever get sick, no flu's or colds, etc. Recently my wife was diagnosed with HPV. While it seems to be a mild case (following papsmeres were normal) It has made me think about all the other things we may have and don't know about. About 3 years ago I had a one night stand with a woman I didn't know well. I was very drunk, and am afraid the sex was unprotected. I do not know if she had any STD's or AIDS and have no way of finding out. But I started reading information on AIDS and am now scared to death. Primarily because the last time my wife remembers being sick was about a month after that episode. She had a mild flu that lasted only a few day's. She also suffers from yeast infections. (maybe one a year, as does her sister) Normally I wouldn't even consider that, but with all of the information I have been reading....

Could I be suffering from some type of psycosis from reading this material, or is it likely I have AIDS and have passed it on to my wife? I am so afraid to get tested, because as I said we are very healthy, to find out that we had it, well, it would be devastating I would imagine.

Response from Dr. Remien

As devastating as you think it might be to find out that one or both of you is HIV+, it would be much better, in the long run, to know. It is possible that you (and she) are infected and it is also very possible that you are not. However, you need to know and can only know if you get tested. If infected, there are things that you can do to maintain your good health. Being infected, and not knowing it, can lead to serious - and unnecessary illness. If you are not infected, you will be able to get rid of the fear that you currently live with.

Previous
Oral sex
Next
HIV+ Proactive Medical Care

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.