Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

serodiscordant couple wants baby-adopt?

We are a serodiscordant couple who have tried 'sperm washing' in Italy with Dr. Semprini three times without success. We would like to adopt, but found it is difficult or impossible to adopt a baby when one partner is positive. Do you know of such couples who have had success in adoption? If so, please provide details on adoption agencies or lawyers who can help. Many thanks.

Response from Dr. Remien

I am sorry to say that I am not in a position to offer you direct help. Adoption policies and procedures are quite variable across states and in different local areas. Adoption, under any circumstances, can be quite challenging. With HIV in the picture, it can be even more challenging, but is not "impossible." I suggest you seek help in your area from agencies and advocates for adoption. You might check in with HIV advocacy organizations that provide legal advice or services, as well.

One of the reasons I wanted to post your question, even though I do not have a good answer for you, is to let other couples know that the "sperm-washing" technique - even when done in Italy - is often not successful. I commend you and your partner for pursuing something that is so important to you. It takes a lot of energy and effort and requires support and commitment (towards each other) from the two of you. Hang in there and good luck in your pursuit.

HIV- patner and me health rollercoaster
Recent Diagnosis of HIV+ status in lover