Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Am I worthy of a relationship?

I am a 35 year old man, heterosexual, questioning whether or not I should try to pursue a relationship. My infection was through a transfusion, I had no knowledge until several years later. I have always been asymtomatic. Started therapy about 2 years ago. Pos. for 15 years approx. Where or how, are can I find someone to discuss these issues?

Response from Dr. Remien

You are not alone. Many people in your situation wonder whether or not they can have a relationship once they find out they are HIV+. If you read many of the questions and answers on this forum, you will realize that you are not alone with your concerns. The reality is that there is no reason you cannot have a healthy relationship as an HIV+ man. And with the advances in therapies you have every reason to expect a healthy and long-term future. I suggest you contact a local community based organization that provides services to people living with HIV. Perhaps you would find a support group helpful, or individual counseling. Simply talking about your feelings and conerns with others familiar with these issues can be tremendously helpful.

Take care of yourself and don't isolate yourself - seek the support that you deserve and is out there for you.

Sex, and a hiv poz parter...
Worried about wigging out