Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

scared to infect

Dr., I'm hoping you've experienced similar worries before. I am completely paranoid that I'll infect my wife or children. I have to wash my hands like 6 times after going to the bathroom, I'm constantly worrying when there's any contact skin to skin, like shaking hands, etc. is there any way you can help me? Have you seen couples with similar worries? Please help me.

Response from Dr. Remien

Your worries are common, but yours appear to be very exaggerated. You CANNOT transmit the virus from shaking hands! It is undersandable that in no way would you want to infect anyone in your family. But it is not necessary that you live with such overwhelming fear and concern. I suggest you speak to a therapist about this. Someone with expertise in "cognitive-behavioral" techniques is likely to be the most helpful to you. Good luck.

Looking For +/- Support Group
I am worried