Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

also fear infecting family

I have similar problems as the person who wrote about their fear of infecting child and wife. I have dry chaffed skin that often bleeds. I try real hard to be careful (wash hands, use moisturizer, etc.), but sometimes I'm afraid that I might get some blood on an object in the house or on my child's or wife's hand. Am I just crazy or could I really infect someone? Thanks a lot for your help.

Response from Dr. Remien

While it is reasonable for you to be concerned and to not want to infect anyone in your family, it seems that the degree to which you worry is unnecessary. The virus is not easily transmitted and cannot live easily outside the body. While blood can be infectious, it is blood-to-blood contact that is very risky. If you haven't already, I suggest you spend time on the Safe Sex Prevention and Transmission Forum with Rick Sowadsky and see the numerous questions and answers there about transmission risk. It may also be helpful to you to talk with your doctor and ask him or her about the concerns you have.

I stress out my HIV+ partner
Trusting your partner