Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

he scared, how can i help

It's been 8 months since my love found out that he is +. We have talked and he still can't get it through his head that i still love him. He offered me an out and i will not take it. We have had a long distance relationship from the start and for a year now. He lives on one coast and i live on the other. We both are going to therapy. But he still is not getting it. How can i make him see that i love him + or not. That I know what could happen, and it does not scare me as long as I have him. We have not talked in two weeks, I am trying to give him some space and time to think. What do i do??

Response from Dr. Remien

Essentially, I believe you are doing the right thing. It is probably is wise to "give him some space and time," as you are doing. And I would also continue to reassure him about the love you feel for him - as you are also doing. Give it some more time and see what happens. You cannot "force" someone to feel a certain way, when they are feeling differently. I'm glad to hear that you are both in therapy, because you can each use the support. I hope things work out for you. Take care.

In Love But Afraid
Unsafe sex and mislead