Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

please help -- question re: baby

My husband was diagnosed with HIV+ this last week as a result of an infertility work up. He had no idea how this could be since he has been with me for the last 7 years and swears he has been monogamous. With the look on his face when we were told -- I believe him. We are going to deal with this together but he wanted me to ask you if I could still have the IVF with donor sperm (however that is done) because we both wanted a child. I told him mot to worry about this now, but he says that it would help him to know that our dreams of another child are still a possibility even though it would not be his biologically. I am 41 and time is running out -- I am not as worried about this as he is but I told him I would try to find out. thank you for reading this for us.

Response from Dr. Remien

On issues of in vitro fertilization, you will need to speak directly with a physician and/or a professional at a clinic that provides such services, to discuss your options. I don't see any good reason why you would not qualify for this procedure, based on the little information you have given me. You will also likely be advised to have yourself tested for HIV for up to 6 months before you try to move forward with pregnancy. Again, please speak with a health care professional about these issues.

Don't know what to do...
aids transmission