Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rare or Common?
Jun 16, 2000

I keep reading here about negative women with positive men and the women are still negative. Is that common or even likely? I had a 3 month affair, unprotected vaginal penetration, that ended 15 months ago and just learned that he is positive (he just had pneumonia and has been diagnosed with Hodgkin's). He tells me that his wife of 4 years is negative and that they were very active sexually. I wonder if the fact that she is negative has something to do with her body or hopefully his. I am awaiting test results. I've read of symptoms like rash, fever, etc., after exposure but I never had those. I know the answer lies in that test that I am waiting for, but based on what I've told you, and if you were a betting man, do you think the odds are on my side that I'm negative?

Response from Dr. Remien

I am not a "betting man," and I am also not a medical doctor. Therefore you need to discuss your concerns with a medical provider. However, I will say that in my experience, transmission of HIV can be very idiosyncratic. That is to say, it is not very well known why some people become infected with one or very few exposures and others remain HIV- after numerous exposures. There are viral and host factors, as well as many others, that can effect transmission. Bottom line: every exposure carries risk -- not something to be gambling with.

Previous
Risk even with safe sex
Next
Don't know what to do...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.