Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Where has my sex drive gone?

Could you please offer any advise on getting my sex drive back. My parnter recently tested positive and I remain negative. Since his diagnosis I have been worried about getting infected.

While anal sex is not common in our relationship, I fear the orgasm stage because I worry where his semen will go... I know this is silly but it is hard to get into the mood when all you think about is where the semens goes.

I am also on zoloft and I am told that this can hinder sex drive too.

Please help.

M.

Response from Dr. Remien

Yes, it is possible for antidepressant medication to contribute to a diminished libido (lower sex drive). You should definitely consult with your physician about this. However, it also sounds like your anxiety about the transmission of HIV is a factor in your reduced sex drive. This is fairly common when someone first finds out that their partner is HIV+. You are absolutely right, "it is hard to get into the mood when all you think about is where the semens goes." You need to educate yourself about routes of transmission of HIV. The safer sex forum on this website should be helpful in that regard. But I also think it would be helpful for you to talk with your partner about what you are experiencing. It s generally helpful when couples approach these cahllenges together. I am sure you can find ways to reduce your anxiety so you can relax and enjoy your sex together. If necessary, you may also want to see a counselor experienced in HIV issues if you find it continues to be difficult for you to deal with this.

how to handle break up
hernias and HIV in males...is it common