Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

lubricants
May 7, 2007

Dr Remein

what is the deal with oil based lubes and condoms? there is conflicting info on this site; some docs say it creates microscopic holes for virus to pass, others say you are ok if it did not visibly break. so noone is sure.

i had some instances of sex with a pos partner where oil was used by mistake. however, the condom never visibly broke. should i be worried and get tested or is it still fully protected sex?

be glad to get your opinion.

james

Response from Dr. Remien

This is a very technical question about the product and not my area of expertise. However, I am happy to offer my opinion. It is my understanding that oil base lubes can compromise the integrity of the condom. If the condoms did not break, you still had substantive protection. However, to alleviate your concerns you will need to get tested - just to be sure. And try to remember to always use a water based lube.

Previous
if undetected..
Next
Partner with HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.