Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

lubricants

Dr Remein

what is the deal with oil based lubes and condoms? there is conflicting info on this site; some docs say it creates microscopic holes for virus to pass, others say you are ok if it did not visibly break. so noone is sure.

i had some instances of sex with a pos partner where oil was used by mistake. however, the condom never visibly broke. should i be worried and get tested or is it still fully protected sex?

be glad to get your opinion.

james

Response from Dr. Remien

This is a very technical question about the product and not my area of expertise. However, I am happy to offer my opinion. It is my understanding that oil base lubes can compromise the integrity of the condom. If the condoms did not break, you still had substantive protection. However, to alleviate your concerns you will need to get tested - just to be sure. And try to remember to always use a water based lube.

if undetected..
Partner with HIV