Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

scratch in my lip
May 4, 2007

hi i have a bad lip chap and i had oral sex with my gf who's HIV+ so my question is how high is my risk of getting HIV from that unprotected relation?? in the saturday morning it was bleeding and, when we had sex like at 12am sunday, it wasn't, so wut are the chances pls answer me

Response from Dr. Remien

You are describing what most would consider to be a relatively low risk scenario. However, when you have "slips" or unprotected sexual risk occasions with your HIV+ partner you should try to speak directly with a physician. Ideally you would have a conversation about these things with your and/or your girlfriend's physician before hand and you should develop a plan for what to do when a real exposure risk happens. Please read Questions and Answers on this Forum about Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) and risk of HIV transmission associated with different behaviors on the Transmission Risk Forum.

Previous
a game of chance
Next
room mates who don't know

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.