Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

a game of chance

This really isn't a question it's more so a glimmer of hope iguess. i am hiv + for 10 years my wife is hiv neg and has been routinely tested for the past 7 years and always tests neg. in 2004 we decided we to try and have a child. we have kasier permanate insurance which covers assisyed conception but declined and outright said it was illegal to assist us. so that left us alone to help are selfs. at the time my cd4 was 250 and my v/l was 4000 and not on any meds. so we took a chance and bought an ovulator kit and planned it. had unprotected sex and to make a long story short my wife and i have a hiv neg healthy 2 year old boy and my wife remains hiv neg as well. i am not saying evryone who wants a child should rush and have unprotected sex i just want couples who really want a child to know that it can be done even when ass backward insurance companies dont want to help. but just remember its all a game of chance and something you will have to live with and accept whatever comes good are bad....but hopefully it'll be good...........if there are any mixed status m/f couples who would like to talk.please email hammiesdad05@yahoo.com.....take care

Response from Dr. Remien

Your story and advice may be helpful to others reading this forum. You are correct in saying that it is a "game of chance" since there is always risk of HIV transmission with unprotected sex. I strongly advise all mixed status couples interested in getting pregnant to consult with their physician. "Sperm washing" is a highly reliable procedure. And while some insurance will not cover the expense, all couples should consult with their physician about this procedure as well as other alternatives.

Enjoy your family and be well.

Transmission
scratch in my lip