Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Female +/Male -

I am retiring and my wife was diagnosed positive in Dec. I have been tested twice (2nd time 2 months after her diagnose) since then as negative. This is, obviously, a very bad situation to be in as I am ready to relax after a long career with my wife and to find this out. I am very supportive of her but I am very worried of many issues. #1 being how easy is it for me to get infected by her if we are practicing safe sex?

Response from Dr. Remien

Practicing safe sex, including consistent and correct condom use during intercourse is highly effective in preventing HIV transmission. I highly recommend that you and your wife see a couples counselor to discuss all of the issues that this brings up for both of you. It makes sense that there are anxieties and concerns. It can be very helpful to discuss these with a professional counselor.

Child to Mom transmission
Seroconversion & raised ALT & GGT