Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Female +/Male -
Feb 19, 2007

I am retiring and my wife was diagnosed positive in Dec. I have been tested twice (2nd time 2 months after her diagnose) since then as negative. This is, obviously, a very bad situation to be in as I am ready to relax after a long career with my wife and to find this out. I am very supportive of her but I am very worried of many issues. #1 being how easy is it for me to get infected by her if we are practicing safe sex?

Response from Dr. Remien

Practicing safe sex, including consistent and correct condom use during intercourse is highly effective in preventing HIV transmission. I highly recommend that you and your wife see a couples counselor to discuss all of the issues that this brings up for both of you. It makes sense that there are anxieties and concerns. It can be very helpful to discuss these with a professional counselor.

Previous
Child to Mom transmission
Next
Seroconversion & raised ALT & GGT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.