Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Child to Mom transmission

I am a positive male dating a negative female. We are very careful, however, we have had one instance of unprotected vaginal sex (the condom fell off). She's started on meds, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do in the meantime? Or if she does get pregnant, is there a possibility of her not contracting HIV? Is there a possiblity of her contracting it if the child is positive? I want help calm her fears, but I don't know the answers to her 'what ifs'. Please help.

Response from Dr. Remien

It seems like you are saying that your partner took antiviral medication in order to prevent HIV infection. This is known as Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)and is highly effective if taken quickly after exposure to HIV (best within 48 hours). Assuming this is what has happened, you and your partner should ask the doctor who prescribed the medication all of the questions you have.

A fetus can only be positive if the pregnant mother is positive. Transmission from mother to child usually occurs at birth and can be prevented with medication. Please consult a physician with the questions you have. You can also read about PEP and HIV transmission on this website.

Unprotected Sex with Positive Partner
Female +/Male -