Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I Have A Dream...
Jun 20, 2006

I tested poitive in the fall of 1994. Two weeks after meeting my partener of now, 13 years. Over the years, I have maintained good health. As a result, my partner and I adopted two little boys almost two years ago...ages 7 and 9. I have a dream, that I will live to see them grown. Is that remotely possible?

Response from Dr. Remien

Yes, it is certainly possible that you will live to see your children grown. If you are in good health and continue to see your doctor regularly (assuming you are doing that now) there is good reason that you can maintain your health for many years to come. If you are lucky enough to maintain good health without needing antiretroviral therapy, that is great. However, you still need to monitor your health and the state of your immune system. There may come a time that you will need treatment (if you are not on treatment now) and there have been wonderful advances in the management if HIV disease. This requires very high levels of adherence and regular "check-ups" with your physician.

So I hope you are motivated to want to see your children grown - and perhaps even their children. Do all you can to maintain your health and enjoy your family and your life.

Previous
SERODISCORDANT COUPLE WITH BABY
Next
I hope you post this - comment on your answer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.