Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

I Have A Dream...

I tested poitive in the fall of 1994. Two weeks after meeting my partener of now, 13 years. Over the years, I have maintained good health. As a result, my partner and I adopted two little boys almost two years ago...ages 7 and 9. I have a dream, that I will live to see them grown. Is that remotely possible?

Response from Dr. Remien

Yes, it is certainly possible that you will live to see your children grown. If you are in good health and continue to see your doctor regularly (assuming you are doing that now) there is good reason that you can maintain your health for many years to come. If you are lucky enough to maintain good health without needing antiretroviral therapy, that is great. However, you still need to monitor your health and the state of your immune system. There may come a time that you will need treatment (if you are not on treatment now) and there have been wonderful advances in the management if HIV disease. This requires very high levels of adherence and regular "check-ups" with your physician.

So I hope you are motivated to want to see your children grown - and perhaps even their children. Do all you can to maintain your health and enjoy your family and your life.

SERODISCORDANT COUPLE WITH BABY
I hope you post this - comment on your answer