Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

I'm not, he is.

I've met a great guy who is HIV +, but I'm not. What I'm reading makes it sound like the only way I can be safe is not to touch him...no kissing, no oral, no anal. Only hugging ain't gona cut it...for either of us. Is all that true? What are my options here? I really like him but I'm not willing to get infected for him. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Remien

It's interesting that you have this impression and I wonder where it comes from?

There are lots of ways of having "safer sex" that significantly reduces the chance of HIV transmission. Use of barrier protection for anal and vaginal sex is highly effective; kissing is not considered to be risky; and depending on the type of oral sex, this is a low or minimal risk behavior. If you are looking for an ABSOLUTE guarantee, you will not find it - however, most HIV serodiscordant couples are able to identify satisfying sex behaviors that they are comfortable engaging - in and this is usually more than just mutual masturbation.

Please spend time on the Safer Sex and Transmission Forum on this website and familiarize yourself with all of the transmission issues.

KS follow up question
Unsual Result just freaked me out. Please educate me!