Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I'm not, he is.
May 30, 2006

I've met a great guy who is HIV +, but I'm not. What I'm reading makes it sound like the only way I can be safe is not to touch him...no kissing, no oral, no anal. Only hugging ain't gona cut it...for either of us. Is all that true? What are my options here? I really like him but I'm not willing to get infected for him. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Remien

It's interesting that you have this impression and I wonder where it comes from?

There are lots of ways of having "safer sex" that significantly reduces the chance of HIV transmission. Use of barrier protection for anal and vaginal sex is highly effective; kissing is not considered to be risky; and depending on the type of oral sex, this is a low or minimal risk behavior. If you are looking for an ABSOLUTE guarantee, you will not find it - however, most HIV serodiscordant couples are able to identify satisfying sex behaviors that they are comfortable engaging - in and this is usually more than just mutual masturbation.

Please spend time on the Safer Sex and Transmission Forum on this website and familiarize yourself with all of the transmission issues.

Previous
KS follow up question
Next
Unsual Result just freaked me out. Please educate me!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.