Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I truly be Negative??
Jan 21, 2006

Am worried that I might be HIV positive after I found that the woman I had had unprotected sex in 2001 is HIV positive and her baby who is 9 years is also possitive, I have been testing my blood since july 2004 with Negative results, have gone to VCT where they carry out rapid test almost six times in a three month interval with the same negative result, also had the ELISA test with the same negative results, Please help me, is there any chances that I MIGHT BE NEGATIVE?? Am recently afraid of dating since am not sure of my status and also am afraid that I may have undetectable HIV and transimit it to others, how do i be sure of my stutus as the tests keep on giving the same results? and can it take that long to detect infection? from Tnzania.

Response from Dr. Remien

While I am not a medical doctor and cannot give you a definitive answer, you should be very confident that repeated tests all showing you that you are not HIV+ are valid. It is possible that current and future behavior could put you at risk for acquiring HIV, but you should feel confident that you were not infected with HIV in 2001.

Previous
Will HIV show up faster in one person vs another?
Next
HIV+ husband coming back

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.