Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Can I truly be Negative??

Am worried that I might be HIV positive after I found that the woman I had had unprotected sex in 2001 is HIV positive and her baby who is 9 years is also possitive, I have been testing my blood since july 2004 with Negative results, have gone to VCT where they carry out rapid test almost six times in a three month interval with the same negative result, also had the ELISA test with the same negative results, Please help me, is there any chances that I MIGHT BE NEGATIVE?? Am recently afraid of dating since am not sure of my status and also am afraid that I may have undetectable HIV and transimit it to others, how do i be sure of my stutus as the tests keep on giving the same results? and can it take that long to detect infection? from Tnzania.

Response from Dr. Remien

While I am not a medical doctor and cannot give you a definitive answer, you should be very confident that repeated tests all showing you that you are not HIV+ are valid. It is possible that current and future behavior could put you at risk for acquiring HIV, but you should feel confident that you were not infected with HIV in 2001.

Will HIV show up faster in one person vs another?
HIV+ husband coming back