Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

How do I help my partner with AIDS

My partner has recently been diagnosed with AIDS. I told him that I still love and accept him as much as I did before or even more. However i don't know how to help him. Sometimes he is very loving and I feel him so close to me. Other times, he is distant and does not want to communicate at all. What should my attitude be?

Response from Dr. Remien

I think you already have a good attitude about this. You are committed and loving and want offering him your support. Now, try not to "work so hard" at it. It sounds like you are already doing what is needed. Give him a little space. He needs some time to be with his own thoughts and feelings - and perhaps you do too. A healthy balance of time together and time to yourselves can be a good thing. Usually someone dealing with tough news wants their loved ones to "just be there" rather than trying to "fix" things. Continue to be supportive and give yourselves time.

disclosure to new partner
Will HIV show up faster in one person vs another?