Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Risk Level

Hi there, First, this is a great website, thank you. Second, my boyfriend is HIV negative, I am positive, yet undetectable. I know the risk is always there but is it less likely for him to catch HIV if my levels are so low?

Response from Dr. Remien

This question seems to get asked over and over again. Please look at past questions and answers in this Forum and also on the Safe Sex, HIV Prevention and Transmission forum on this website (The Body).

The bottom line is that reduced viral load diminishes the level of risk to some degree (nobody can say exactly to what degree). However, risk for transmission remains no matter how low the viral load.

How can i help negative partner's with his excessive fears?
am positive can my fiace be affected