Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

pos woman neg man

I'm a positive woman in a relationship with a negative man. We want to enjoy sex but are unclear about what we can and cannot do. Use a condom yes but what about him stroking me without a condom and no intercourse is that safe? And I'm hearing alot of other pos woman who receive oral sex without protection how safe is that? They tell me as long as they do not orgasim it is ok. Please help me I'm confused. I want to protect him and me but I also want to have a enjoyable loving, stress free sexual encounters. Thank you D

Response from Dr. Remien

Having pleasurable and intimate sex is important in ongoing loving relationships, and keeping each other safe and healthy is important as well. Oral sex is generally considered to be a low risk activity and things like mutual masturbation are considered to be a "safe sex" behavior. Please visit the

"Safe Sex, HIV Prevention and Transmission" forum on this website. Look for the information that you need to make your informed choice. Being unsure and confused about your risk is stressful and does not make for pleasurable sex.

life expectancy with hiv
Pos man not on treatment