Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

life expectancy with hiv

my partner of 10yrs is positive, i'm not. I've known about it since dau ONE. He refuses to discuss the situation, just saying 'he's fine' whenever i ask how his health is currently. He does have a VERY good doctor, and he works out a lot, and keeps in shape. How long does a person last with good treatment these days? what am I "in for?"

Response from Dr. Remien

Nobody can give you any guarantees, but many people seem to be living what is considered to be 'normal life spans" when they have good treatment and take good care of themselves. It is a shame that he is reluctant to speak with you more about your concerns. Have you ever asked him if you could visit his doctor with him sometime? It sounds like it would be useful to you to be able to ask some questions of his medical provider.

Husband HIV+, wife worried
pos woman neg man