Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Having a baby with a positive man

I am HIV positive and my fiance is HIV positive as well. I have heard of serodiscordant couples having HIV free babies with no problem. My fiance wants children, but does our status of both of us being HIV positive put us at a less likelyhood of having an HIV free child?

Response from Dr. Remien

The risk of transmission of HIV to a child through pregnancy and/or delivery has nothing to do with the HIV status of the man, once a woman is positive herself. HIV is transmitted to the baby via the mother, thus it is her HIV status that is of concern. There are ways of significantly reducing the risk of transmission to the baby - please speak with your physician about these issues.

Partner of 3 years tests positive in Jan 05
Tellor not to tell