Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Negative top in a Poz bottom

I have am a HIV neg man at the age of 38 and have been topping a 36 y.o. man that has been HIV Poz for 9 years, undetectible with over 700 t-cell count with out wearing a condom for about a week, I found your site and started looking around. the info has been a little misunderstanding. what I have been reading is that the top is only at risk when he may have a cut or chaffed skin. my new partner never has any blood after we "get sweaty together" and my man hood is not chaffed, we use and reaply lube often. am I playing in a high risk "ball game"? I'm feeling a bit spooked!

Thank you for you time.

Response from Dr. Remien

The conditions you describe would raise the level of risk for HIV transmission because they facilitate the entry of HIV into the uninfected person. However, HIV transmission can occur without the presence of these conditions. Yes, it is easier for a "bottom" to become infected, but it is also possible for a "top" to become infected via unprotected sex with an HIV+ partner. Condoms are protective. Please visit the Safe Sex, HIV Prevention and Transmission forum on this website http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/index.html

How to keep children safe
Partner of 3 years tests positive in Jan 05