Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How to keep children safe
Apr 2, 2005

Ok here goes, dont think im totally uninformed on the subject of hiv, I was married to a man Hiv pos. for 10 yrs, me neg. Anyway we had a child with donor sperm who is now 3. We split not because of hiv just usual marital problem. anyway my concern is keeping my son safe while he visits without me being there. Are there any books you can recommend for my ex to read on how to be sure my son dosnt accidently become infected while he visits. When i lived with him he would alway do stupid things like leaving used razors out, toothbrush out ect. A 3 yr old does not know not to use someone elses toothbrush or play shaving if he finds dads razors. Anyway he always thought i was being paranoid so if I could purchase a book for him to read and hear how to be safe from someone else i think he would listen....Thanks for your help

Response from Dr. Remien

I am sorry, but I am not aware of a book of this kind. A lot of clinics and community based organizations that provide HIV-related services distribute pamphlets and information newsletters that address issues of transmission risk. You can also visit the Safe Sex, HIV Prevention and Transmission forum on this website

It's pretty fundamental. Transmission occurs through direct contact with blood (blood to blood) and via unprotected sex. Transmission does not occur through casual contact - i.e., in households, unless it is through sex or blood to blood contact. Worrying about things like toothbrushes does not seem necessary. Regarding things like razors - they can be dangerous to a child in terms of injury and thus should be kept out of a child's reach, HIV or no HIV.

Previous
HIV(-) man in love with HIV(+) woman
Next
Negative top in a Poz bottom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.