Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

How to keep children safe

Ok here goes, dont think im totally uninformed on the subject of hiv, I was married to a man Hiv pos. for 10 yrs, me neg. Anyway we had a child with donor sperm who is now 3. We split not because of hiv just usual marital problem. anyway my concern is keeping my son safe while he visits without me being there. Are there any books you can recommend for my ex to read on how to be sure my son dosnt accidently become infected while he visits. When i lived with him he would alway do stupid things like leaving used razors out, toothbrush out ect. A 3 yr old does not know not to use someone elses toothbrush or play shaving if he finds dads razors. Anyway he always thought i was being paranoid so if I could purchase a book for him to read and hear how to be safe from someone else i think he would listen....Thanks for your help

Response from Dr. Remien

I am sorry, but I am not aware of a book of this kind. A lot of clinics and community based organizations that provide HIV-related services distribute pamphlets and information newsletters that address issues of transmission risk. You can also visit the Safe Sex, HIV Prevention and Transmission forum on this website

It's pretty fundamental. Transmission occurs through direct contact with blood (blood to blood) and via unprotected sex. Transmission does not occur through casual contact - i.e., in households, unless it is through sex or blood to blood contact. Worrying about things like toothbrushes does not seem necessary. Regarding things like razors - they can be dangerous to a child in terms of injury and thus should be kept out of a child's reach, HIV or no HIV.

HIV(-) man in love with HIV(+) woman
Negative top in a Poz bottom