Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

HIV(-) man in love with HIV(+) woman

i am a HIV(-) male in love with HIV(+) woman that i would love to spend the rest of my life with. she has had an udetectable viral load since she started tx which is 3 yrs. Realistically, how long can we expect her to remain "viral load negative" if she adheres to treatment. is it foolish for me to imagine a future and even more importantly children with her.

Response from Dr. Remien

As I am sure you know - nobody can give you any guarantees on this. However, it is certainly not unreasonable to imagine a very long term future with this woman. While uncertainties exist, many people will be living "normal" life spans with HIV. And as you note in your question - adherence and ongoing good medical care are important for maintaining health. Regarding pregnancy - you and she should be discussing this with her physician.

What is PEP?
How to keep children safe