Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

What is PEP?

I have been involved with a man for the past nine months. He is HIV+ and I am HIV-. We've been having safe sex from the beginning. I read on one of the forums about taking PEP in the event of condom breakage. What is it, how does it work, and how can I get it. Also, how often should I get tested. I perform oral sex on him (he does not ejaculate). Also, he has Hep B and recommended that I get vaccinated. I just completed my last of 3 shots. How can Hep B be contracted. Thanks for being here.

Response from Dr. Remien

Please see my response to a question about PEP titled,

"Transmission Risks in mixed status couple"

You should speak with your doctor about how often you should be tested for HIV.

Yes, you should definitely be vaccinated for Hep B as should most people who are sexually active and do not already have antibodies for Hep B. It is a very successful at preventing infection with Hep B. Hep B can be transmitted from sexual contact and via blood.

I hope this is all helpful.

Adoption
HIV(-) man in love with HIV(+) woman