Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Reducing risk in unprotected sex

My partner and I got together 2 months ago. When we first started, we had unsafe sex. I encouraged him to go for a test after knowing his sexual history. He was tested positive...

Having been well informed enough about the virus and at the same time, having experiences in counselling, I was able to help him to move out of depression pretty quickly. However, I am the one that is having problems now...

I like sex without protection. And this is becoming a huge issue for me because I felt extremely bad about myself when I do it with him raw.

I was tested negative two days ago but it meant nothing to me because the last unprotected sex is within the window period. I dread since this may actually continue to haunt me forever.

Is there any way I can reduce risks of infection via unprotected anal intercourse? I am the top in the relationship.

Response from Dr. Remien

First off, you are not alone in enjoying unprotected sex. Most people say that it feels better physically and feels more intimate. However, the reality is that it is risky for HIV transmission. While the risk is lower for "the top" in regard to HIV transmission, there still is risk. Consistent and correct condom use is the best form of protection.

Transmission Risks in mixed status couple
Poz partner and Healthy Lifestyle: How to help?