For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Wife negative & angry

I tested in December 2004. My results were positive. My wife also tested she was negative. We went for Counceling in 2 diffent social workers. The problem is that my wife is angry at me. This is normal,I understand, that she must heal. My problem is that she refuses to kiss or make love with me using condom. She says she will never be free or trusting again.I ASK FOR THE ADVISE HOW ARE WE GOING TO OVERCOME THIS PROBLEM?

Response from Dr. Remien

Anger, among several emotions are common in this situation. In my experience, it takes time and a lot of communication to overcome the feeling of betrayal and regaining some normalcy in the relationship. I suggest that you be patient, but also ask that your wife talk to you about her feelings and her concerns. Ongoing counseling for the two of you might be very helpful.

Extremely distressed parent
In a relationship, out of sex drive