Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Extremely distressed parent

Hi Dr, My wife and I have had a baby in the last year, during the pregnancy my wife had a routine HIV test which was -, I too had a test which came out + is there a possibility that by baby could be HIV+ even though my wifes test was - ?

Thank you for your advice.

Response from Dr. Remien

The only way that a baby can be infected prior to, or during, birth is if the mother is infected with HIV. Unless your wife was already infected with HIV while pregnant, but had not yet formed antibodies, your baby could not have been infected. So if your wife is not infected with HIV, then your baby could not have been infected before being born. Once a baby is born, he or she can be infected the same way an adult can be infected - from body fluids from and HIV-infected person.

I hope you are reassured by this. But, this is the type of question you should ask a physician.

Questions about dating a positive man
Wife negative & angry