|How to help him?
Feb 12, 2005
My partner of 8 years tested positive a month ago. I am negative. What can I do to help him deal with the guilt and dread that he is experiencing? What sorts of things do I need to make clear to him so that he begins to feel better?
Response from Dr. Remien
Very little of this is in your control. It takes different people different ranges of time to cope with these feelings and concerns. Time generally helps. Being present and supportive is helpful. Remaining open to talking about all of the issues is important, however, I think you need to also be careful about not "pushing" him. Again, everyone has a different pace with how they process their emotions over something like this. If he and/or you have very prolonged difficulties with any of this, I suggest you consider some counseling from a mental health care provider with experience in HIV related issues.
Help me understand
I just met someone
- Hairy Tongue After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Itchy Red Spots After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Jock Itch After Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sinus Infection After Insertive Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Testicular Pain After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- White Spots After Giving Oral Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.