Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Help me understand

I have been dating an HIV poz woman and have real issues with it. I have read many of the responses saying someone being HIV poz is no reason not to pursue a relationship. How can you say this when the is never 100% chance of being a safe. I could die from getting this. Please explain what you mean by this so I can understand. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Remien

Yes, it is true that there is not a 100% chance of never contracting HIV when an uninfected person is an ongoing sex partner with someone who is HIV infected. However, a lot is known about how this virus is transmitted and consistent and correct use of protective barriers can reduce the risk of transmission to a very minimal level.

There are many reasons as to why one person may not want to pursue a relationship with another person. There are a lot of "risks" (physical and emotional) when we make ourselves vulnerable by truly opening ourselves to another person and daring to "fall in love." I do not believe that HIV status, in and of itself, needs to be a reason to not pursue a relationship. With that said, you or anyone else certainly has the right to select a partner based on whatever characteristic may be important to the person - whether that be HIV status or any other physical, health, or personality attribute.

To put some of this in another perspective, there is never 100% chance we will not get hit by a stray bullet or a "hit-and-run" driver, die in a plane crash, get sick from food poisoning, be injured by falling debris when walking down the street, be abandoned by a lover, etc. etc. (the list can go on and on) but we do not stop ourselves from leaving the house and engaging in life and relationships.

Mutual masturbation, and discordant couples
How to help him?