Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Mutual masturbation, and discordant couples

Dr. Remien,

My partner is HIV + I am not. She is medicated, and we use condoms consistantly. I'm concerned about the risk of infection from masturbating her, which is something we both enjoy. Is there a significant risk, and if so, what precautions can we take?

Response from Dr. Remien

This is not considered to be a risk behavior for transmission of HIV. I think it's great that you have been consistent with condom use and that you can also enjoy the pleasures of mutual masturbation.

Please visit the Safe Sex, Prevention and Transmission Forum on this website for a lot more information about risks associated with different sex behaviors.

oral sex risk reduction
Help me understand