Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

oral sex risk reduction

I am very healthy, but am HIV+; I've been on HAART over 7 years, the whole time my viral load has been undetectable, my t cell count over 600. When aroused, I produce no pre-cum. No fluids appear until I ejaculate, even if I play for an extended period. My HIV- partner likes to suck cock, and is not particularly turned on by sucking my cock covered with latex. Besides not brushing and flossing before sex, is there anything else we could do to reduce the risk of transmission during oral sex? Is the risk greater for him going down on me, than vice versa?

Response from Dr. Remien

You seem to understand some of the basics of HIV transmission and level of risk. Unprotected sex is considered to be a "low" risk situation and avoiding ejaculate as well as not brushing and flossing just before sex are strategies of reducing the low risk that is there. I think most experts would say that the risk is higher for the uninfected partner when he or she is performing oral sex on an HIV+ partner.

Please visit the Safe Sex, HIV Prevention and Transmission Forum on this website. You will find a lot information about the risks associated with oral sex.

Disclosing sero status to new partner
Mutual masturbation, and discordant couples