Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

New way to transmit HIV?
Nov 24, 2004

Dr Remien, Please, please help. What are the chances of getting HIV after fingering a person's anus that had a perianal abcess then that finger coming into a brief contact with my tongue? We were taking all other precuations - no direct oral-anal or other unprotected sex. I am worried beyond belief because I developed a persistent sore throat 2 days after contact and now my eyes itch like I am geting conjunctivitis? Many thanks for your wonderful service to all of us.

Very Scared

Response from Dr. Remien

To the best of my knowledge, transmission of HIV via oral contact is essentially minimal. Risk of other infections from this type of ativity is higher. Don't go on worrying on your own and don't seek a diagnosis via the Internet. See a physician about your concerns.

Previous
Disclosure
Next
Lack of intimacy since diagnosis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.