Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Disclosure

Would someone HIV+ having protected sex all the time with condoms, should have to disclose status to person having sex with. please advise. Lots of questions are asked and sometimes I dont have the answers. thank you

Response from Dr. Remien

I don't think that anyone has "the answers" that would apply to everybody. This is an issue on which there is legitimacy on both sides of the debate. My basic philosophy is that when it comes to disclosure of HIV status (whether it means disclosing an HIV+ status or an HIV- status) both people involved in the sexual relationship bear equal responsibility for having the discussion. If HIV status matters to someone who is having sex with another person, then they should see to it that the issues is discussed.

In the context of mixed status relationships (which is what this forum is about) I am an advocate for full disclosure when there is an ongoing relationship. It is variable as to what point in the relationship the issue gets discussed, but the bottom line is that with growing intimacy, it is important for the issue to be discussed. And again, regardless of one's own HIV status, both members of the couple bear responsibility in having the discussion.

dating my first positive gay man
New way to transmit HIV?