The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible Misdiagnosis
Nov 7, 2004

My boyfriend was told in September that he was HIV positive. In July and August, he received STD test, which both came back negative. Now, the doctors are saying that he has full blown AIDS and that his CD4 count is twelve. They have told him to prepare for the worse, but I am wondering how is this at all possible. Why if he has AIDS did his test in July/Aug come back negative? And if his cd4 count is so low why is he not experiencing any symptoms or illness? Is this possibly a misdiagnosis or is this situation possible?

Response from Dr. Remien

I am somewhat confused by your question. You said that he had an "STD" test in July and August. What kind of STD was he tested for? HIV is one of many STDs. If you meant to say that he had an HIV test in July and August, which were negative, but then positive in September - it is possible for these tests to have been accurate. Although, it would be somewhat unusual for someone to have such a low CD4+ count so shortly after seroconverting, but not impossible. Someone can also be asymptomatic with a very low CD4+ count, but if the low count were to persist, that person would probably not remain asymptomatic.

The bottom line is that your boyfriend needs to continue with close monitoring and care from a qualified HIV physician. It also sounds like you could benefit from discussions with a physician (whether that be your boyfriend's or your own) so that you come to understand the issues involved.

Telling my son about how his father died
dating my first positive gay man

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint