Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

keeping his secreat

when i mey my partner he kept his status oh hiv+ from me...he exposed me ... tested regularly and have remained hiv-. he refuses support groups,wants NO ONE to find out. I feel so isolated....I need the support of my biological family and want to tell. If i do will i be legally in any violation. we are married now.

Response from Dr. Remien

It is a shame that he has been dishonest with you and also that he is forcing you to be so isolated on the matter. In my experience, people in your situation need some support of their own. I have no legal background so I cannot answer your question with any authority on the legal aspects. However, I am unaware of any such law that you need to be concerned about. What you are dealing with is more of a personal matter. It would be ideal if you could get him to appreciate your need for some support from others. If he is totally unwilling, I suggest that you speak with a counselor about how best to cope with the situation. It seems to me that at some point you will need to be able to confide in others without having to fear retribution from him.

Is anyone else out there?
thanks