Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

thinking of having a baby with positive partiner
Jun 19, 2004

my partner is hiv positive ,his tcell count is 12 and viral load 40,000. he has been on meds,for 3weeks now,, i have tested hiv- , we have had unprotected sex for 4yrs if he were to become undetectable,what are our chances of conceiving a baby that would be positive, or myself becoming positive

Response from Dr. Remien

First off, if your partner has been on meds for only 3 weeks, his numbers and health status still have a lot of time to improve. Thinking about getting pregnant at this time is probably not a good idea. Talk with your physician about this, but give it some time. As his health improves, which it is likely to do, chances will be better for conceiving a baby, with reduced risk to you and the baby. However, there will ALWAYS be a risk of HIV transmission when there is unprotected sex. Find out all of your options about ways of having a baby. And in case you are not clear on this: the only way the baby can be positive is if you are HIV+. So the concern is you becoming positive through unprotected sex, which then can be passed on to your baby, in utero or during childbirth. PLEASE speak with your physician about all of these things.

Previous
Thank you
Next
starting treatment nnrti or pi based?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.