Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

I am Positive. My boy friend is negative. Can we stay togheter?

Please, could you answer me this question?

I had a boy in january 2003 and he give me HIV. We finish after 3 months togheter. In octuber 2003 I had another boy friend and we stay togheter untill I found I was whit HIV. We never used condo. His test was negative. After he knew about your test he don't come to see me anymore and I fell a deep pain for loose him. I don't know wath make me fell more pain: loose him or know about HIV.

Last week he come back to see me... I would like to know if we can make love whit condo. This is safe for him? Or do you think is better if I don't see him anymore? Please, help me. Thank you! L

Response from Dr. Remien

Use of protection would be the responsible thing to do. Consistent and correct use of condoms is a highly effective way of preventing transmission of HIV and other STDs. It is up to both of you as to whether or not you see each other. I do not believe that having a different HIV status is generally a good enough reason, by itself, for two people to not have a relationship.

I should tell him,or not?
Is anyone else out there?