Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Mrs

My husband has been HIV+ since 1999 but I only found out about this two weeks after we got married on December 6,2003. We have been having unprotected sex before we got married. I went for an HIV test but came out negative(-). Q1- Is it possible for my husband to be HIV+ and me HIV-? Q2- If yes, how is it so?

Q3- With our present condition, it is ok to continue having unprotected sex since I have been tested negative? Q4- How safe is it for us to have babies since we are both interested in making babies? I hope I will get an answer to all my questions. Your responds will be highly appreciated. Thanks for such a wonderfull forum.

Response from Dr. Remien

I will try to give answer each of your questions.

Q1 Yes, it is possible for him to be positive and for you to still be negative. Transmission of HIV is dependent on many factors. The only way of knowing is to be tested.

Q2 Again, there are many factors that can influence the transmission of HIV. To name just a few of these factors, they include, the health, the strain of virus, and the viral load of the HIV+ person; the health and immune system of the HIV- person; the specific levels of exposure, depending on the behaviors engaged in; luck,etc.

Q3 No, it is not okay to have unprotected sex. Just because HIV transmission has not yet occurred, does not mean that it will not in the future.

Q4 You need to speak with your physician about all of the specifics related to having uninfected children.

HIV Partner going blind
Is it TRUE?