Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Mixed status couple - mouth ulcers

Hello, I'd be grateful if you could answer this question. I am HIV+, on meds and healthy. My partner was tested for HIV about 10 9 years ago and was negative. Since my diagnosis 1 year ago he has not been re-tested, too difficult for him as the moment to consider it. (Although as a couple we have always practised safe sex, and I don't believe that is how I became infected). For the past few months he has been suffering badly with mouth ulcers - I know that some types of mouth infections can be a symptom of HIV infection, but are mouth ulcers a known symptom? It's worrying him a lot - I suppose there is only one definite way of finding out, but any thoughts from you would be helpful. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Remien

First off, I am not a medical doctor and besides only a doctor who can see and talk to the person be truly helpful in trying to diagnose the problem. With that said, my understanding is that mouth ulcers are a very "non-specific" symptom. That is to say that they can be caused by any number of things and be associated with a wide range of conditions, including a stressed immune system. So again, I recommend that your partner consult, in person, with a physician.

Effective Condom Use?
Dating someone that is Negative