Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possibly Positive and Hubby Negative??
Dec 5, 2003

Could I be positive and my husband negative after 12 years? I had a high risk exposure 12 yrs ago. I found out 1 yr after the incident this person I unwantingly had unprotected vaginal & oral intercourse with may be positive I also believe that if this is the case he knew & did it on purpose. 9 yrs after exp (3 yrs ago) I developed 5+ bumps/papules in my throat & 1 in my mouth near my uvula the same color as surrounding tissue & noticed the back of my mouth has variations of white/red/pink. All of this hasnt changed in the past 3 yrs. - they are still there today - same color, size, location. I cant feel them & the one I can reach near my uvula is hard. A new one formed a few wks ago after all this time that I scratched away. Could this be an HIV symptom - I read that unusual oral lesions could be a first sign of HIV & 8-9 yrs after exp is usually when symptoms occur? These lesions started after developing itchy ears and ear crackling which I also still have today. I also dont remember ever having a vaginal yeast infection yet over the past few months Ive been getting an itchy discomfort off and on in that female area could that be a yeast infection (which is also a sign). I dont smoke & am otherwise healthy & so is my husband who Ive been w/ for 12 yrs also. Weve always had unprotected sex even during my period. He donated blood through the Red Cross 2 yrs ago so he wouldve been tested & has been repeatedly asked to donate again. Could I have HIV & be a long-term non-progressor with my husband one of the few that just does not get infected? Or am I experiencing symptoms that arent HIV related? Im very scared and need an answer soon before I go nuts.

Response from Dr. Remien

All of the symptoms that you have described are "non-specific." That is to say, they can be caused by a variety of things. There is a simple way to find out if you and/or your husband are HIV+ and that is by being tested. The test is very reliable and is the only way you can know. I suggest you speak with your doctor and if not already done then ask for an HIV test. It would also be important for you to know what has been causing the physical problems that you have been having. Again, this needs to be done with a physician.

Previous
Do we really know?
Next
please, need help with my mixed status relationship

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.